Friday 11 October 2013

Winter woes

It is no secret that I don't like winter. I don't like autumn much either as it means summer is over and there is nothing to look forward to weather wise except about 5 months of grey, cold days.

What is it about this time of year?  Well I could sit here and give you a whole stack of  things that I hate but that would be depressing.  I figure it is easy enough to get depressed with the lack of warmth and sunlight anyway.

So, in an effort to cheer myself I am going to try and think of things that I do like.

Erm........ it's quite hard actually!  Oh, I know, going to bed super early so I can have long dreams about summer!

OK, this is silly.  I challenge myself to think of 5 good things that I do like about autumn and winter.

Autumn.
1. Strictly Come Dancing starts!  I do love a good Strictly sesh.  In fact I get quite annoyed if I miss it.  I know I can watch it on iPlayer but it isn't the same. Saturday evening 6.30pm is sacred at this time of year.
2. The autumn leaf colours.  There is something quite glorious about all the yellow, orange and red that the trees are currently wearing.
3. The appearance of Robins in the garden they have been missing all summer.
4.Wide, blue skies, yes they do occasionally still appear and there is quite a nice quality to them which is different to a summer sky.
5. Planting onions and garlic for over wintering. Those little bulbs have such promise.

Winter.
1. I can wear my thick, wooly tights.
2. Hot water bottles in the bed.
3. PJ's.  The only time of year I even think about them.  They are good for keeping warm and cosy
4.  Open fires.  I love our fire.  Must get Simon to order the logs so we can have our first one of the season soon.
5. Christmas.  One of the redeeming features of winter!  You know they say that Jesus was more than likely born in September or possibly March.  It for sure wasn't December.  Christmas actually comes from a pagan festival which was hijacked by the church authorities when they were trying to convert the pagans.  Whatever,  It does seem a good idea to break the relentless monotony of winter with celebrations and gift giving.  I can go with that.

What do you like and dislike about autumn and winter?

3 comments:

  1. good morning Jilly, I am not big on the cold either but October has always been my favorite months-I love the deep blue sky we get during autumn and the colors are changing-gorgeous here in my woods, and hubby and I both have birthdays in October too.
    I love pumpkins, apples, and hunting season here. I also like getting out in the woods to get our firewood too-good exercise and just feels good.
    Winter I like more now since I am retired-we have the woodstoves going and I can work on my crafts more too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep it's grey, gloomy and wet here today! And cold - more winter than autumn. I don't mind the cold - can wrap up against that but hate the gloomy wet days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate the summer heat here in Chicago. It's not only hot but it's dripping humid. Awful. I love the cooler weather. It's awesome. I feel awake and alive. I love everything about autumn and almost everything about winter. We can get heavy snow here. I actually don't mind the snow but the ice is horrible and makes driving very dangerous.

    ReplyDelete

floating social media sharing buttons

Get widget