Wednesday 1 April 2015

A - Z Challenge - A is for Art.

My cousin Wendy is taking part in a blog challenge this month. Blogging from A - Z. One post a day, every day except Sundays. You can find out about it here: http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/p/what-is-blogging-from-to-z.html

I have just read Wendy's post for today which is A is for ancestry. Wendy is keeping to a family theme for the whole month I think. However I don’t think you have to do that, I think you can just have a different thing every day. A bit like I did way back in my Yahoo days.

Anyway, I don’t want to actually join the challenge as I am pretty certain I will fail. But, I thought I might join in from time to time. So today is the letter A.

My theme is Art. I want to know what art means to you? How do you define what is art and what isn't?
That definition is something I have always had a problem with. When I was at secondary school we had lessons called “art”. We mainly drew things and did some painting. I was hopeless at it. To this day I still cannot draw. Although, that said, I guess everyone that can make a mark on paper can draw. It is in the eye of the beholder if it is good or not.

Because of those “art” lessons I have always thought that art was about drawing. I do know that many other things come under the heading too but I am thinking about drawing and painting right now.

So, what makes something art? For me I think it is when something is a true representation. Something that looks real. I really do not like abstract stuff. As for some of the stuff that looks like a 2 year old may have done it, well I just don’t see how that can be art.

I guess it is all to do with how we actually define that word isn’t it. “Art is a visual expression of an idea” according to the dictionary. So I can see that my limited view of it being just about paintings isn't quite right! I know that really
I think my problem is where do we draw the line? So a beautifully handmade quilt is art. An intricate piece of handmade jewellery is art. A lovingly hand knitted garment is art. A hand embroidered doodle is art. Hand crafted paper flower bouquets are art.

I can agree with all the above. Here are a few examples. Do you think they are art? **
Handmade Chainmaille by Victoria Sol:  
Hand Embroidered doodle by Kim's Handmade Cave. 
Handmade paper flower bouquets by Dawn the Funky Flower Girl
Hand knitted Cushion by The Feminine Touch
Needle felted Hamlet Hamster made by Jenny of Mythillogical
What does not in anyway constitute art for me are things such as “My Bed” by British artist Tracey Emin. I mean come on, how is that art? It is just a horrid example of what a room looks like when it is left uncleaned for a few days! She is clearly a sloven not an artist. This “room” was sold at auction in 2014 for a little over 2.5 million pounds!
If there are any takers out there I can create you a piece of art like that in no time at all. It isn't art. It's bullshit. Actually wasn't there another so called artist who actually painted with shit? Don't get me started!

What are your thoughts? What constitutes art for you? Do you have any examples?

I am going to finish now with a cherished piece of art from my own home. It was painted by my Dad and I love it.
** The above examples of art are by some of the members of the Etsy team that I belong to. Craft Britannia.


Jilly. 

5 comments:

  1. It's really nice to see someone considers my Hamlet art! I do like conceptual art, but I think our needs to show skill and originality. I'm not into shock factor artists like Tracy Emin and Damien Hirst- Duchamp was doing it better years before them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really nice to see someone considers my Hamlet art! I do like conceptual art, but I think our needs to show skill and originality. I'm not into shock factor artists like Tracy Emin and Damien Hirst- Duchamp was doing it better years before them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for featuring my flowers! :)

    I'm very interested in what counts as "art" and what doesn't. Unlike you, I'm a big fan of abstract art, but it's all about the colours for me. I've seen some beautiful abstract pieces, and the main thing they have in common are the emotion and thought put into the use of colours.

    I can agree with you that a messy bed isn't really "art" though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very interesting to think about what art actually is, like you I usually think of paintings or drawings (by the way, I absolutely LOVE that picture by your Dad!) although I was aware that art wasn't limited to that really. I definitely think that the examples you have shown are art! And I am so with you on artists like Tracy Emin and Damien Hirst, can't stand them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this one.

    ReplyDelete

floating social media sharing buttons

Get widget