Thursday 29 November 2012

Mums scrap book, taggies and bum bags


It is that time again!  I have to show you what I have been working on this week.
First of all another tiny bit of bunting for my hall.  1979 is a significant date for us.  It is nearly 33 years to that significant date....... in fact it is on Saturday!  I did actually make this a few weeks back and I think I did show it before but it has only just made it up on the wall.


The next thing I am really quite chuffed with.  It is a bum bag or fanny pack as you Merikans call them.  I think I said the other day that I needed to make myself one of these to carry my doggie biscuits when I am at the kennels. I found a pattern to print and some instructions on Tip nut. (That is a great site). It hardly takes any fabric and I made it out of this dog print.  It has a pleated bit on the front so it actually will hold quite a lot.  It also has 2 pockets inside and a zip across the top.  I am dead pleased with it and it was much admired by the other volunteers on Saturday.  I shall be making some more to sell on the craft stall next summer.

I Mentioned in the week that I had made a taggie or ribbon blanket.  My friend Phyllis said how she remembers having a proper blanket that was bound with satin and she used to love to stroke it.  Years ago blankets all seemed to have some sort of shiny, ribbon binding and I guess that maybe that is where the idea for taggies first came from.  Mine is a very small one.  The kind they sell for babies to keep in their cot as a comforter type thing.  It is 12 inches square which is roughly what the ones in the shops are.  It was made from scraps and ribbons that I have gradually collected.

This the front side
This is the reverse which is lovely soft fleece fabric.

I have finally finished the scrapbook of my Mums life.  I am pleased with how it has turned out.  I think it will be quite upsetting for my Dad when he first looks through it but that is natural. I hope that he will  be pleased with it and cherish it.  I put a lot of work into it and it was emotional for me too.  When I decided to do it, I thought it would be nice if we all had some input so I asked my sister and my kids and my niece if they wanted to do pages. I knew the boys wouldn't.  Out of the rest, 2 never even bothered to reply to my email  and the others said yes but despite my asking them several times to get a move on........ they didn't!  You know what?  I am glad now that they didn't.  This is my work, all mine and I like it that way.  This is a photo of the album that I got and then there is a slide show of the pages.




I have only just started using the Windows movie maker so it is a learning curve.  I am  getting in a pickle getting the effects that I want.  The music isn't really right either but it was all that I could find.  I wanted "somewhere over the rainbow" but I don't have it on my computer.  It doesn't really matter of course as I only did the slide show rather than post 24 individual photos.

I should really have done another one as I now have 16 more brooches to show you!  Skip to the end if you are bored with brooches!  They fascinate me as every one is different. I like making them and they are selling well on EBay. One woman purchased 16 of them this week.  Yes, 16!  What the heck do you do with 16 little brooches?


The other thing that I am working on right now is the baby quilt.  I got it all pinned together yesterday and did a tiny bit of the quilting, around the heart and straight lines along the sides of the squirrel squares.  I am going to attempt to stipple the borders this afternoon.

I also need to start on a small surprise present today.  My friend Kathy in Merika is doing a Christmas craft swap. Basically we exchange something that we have made.  I am quite excited, it is a great idea.  Got to get on with it though as I am not sure how quick it will get to her.

Right, off to do a few jobs now and then I can get cracking on the fun stuff.



6 comments:

  1. You have been busy!! The scrapbook of your mom's life is absolutely beautiful. A wonderful tribute to her and your love for her. Excellent.

    Your heart are wonderful. I would love to see the back of one to know how the back is finished and what kind of pin you use - please?

    Enjoyed your post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a little bit to learn to use Movie maker, too. I still have glitches sometimes.

    But I found out recently that you can add music in Youtube and they have a lot. I've been playing around with it. I did my video without music and then edit it into the video via youtube's editing feature. My video in the mountains with the piano is music from youtube. And I've had several people say they liked that music. Their music is in varying length and styles. You can search by type or instrument I think.

    There are places you can download music but Youtube may tag your video with a copyright issue. I had two done that way. I got tired of trying to get it corrected (the music came from Microsoft clips) and deleted it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have been busy as always-you did good with your scrapbook-and I enjoyed the slideshow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. such lovely crafts as always
    I would love one of those bumbags with an owl design for when I work at the owl centre, whenever I buy one of those the straps are never long enough to go round me !!

    the scrapbook about your Mum is lovely
    I have just started one about my Grand Daughter, when my son was little we used to make a scrapbook every year and put all his achievements in it and photos of days out etc, funnily enough I just came across them again, it will be good to look back at them

    I went to buy your purple owl on ebay but it said it was no longer available : (

    congratulations on your anniversary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will look out for some owl fabric and I will make you one. Will repost the owl to Ebay.

      Delete
  5. ...oh and I have caught the making things bug, I made a lot of stuff on Saturday, I have posted about it

    ReplyDelete

floating social media sharing buttons

Get widget