Thursday 24 January 2013

Facebook


Facebook is a wonderful social medium.  No, really it is!  I don't post much personal stuff there and I certainly do not post status updates telling you that it is 2pm and I am in Starbucks having a coffee.  That is drivel.  Come to think of it, I post a lot of drivel on my blog!  My point is that many people do post such updates, my own family included.  I choose not to comment.  I do not tell them they are posting drivel.

So what do I do on there?  Well I play a few games and I check out the photos posted by family and friends.  I quite like that aspect of it as it is a way of keeping up with people you don't see often.  I post  occasional news updates such as those the last week regarding my new grandson.  It is one way of keeping friends informed of how he is doing.  The last 2 weeks I have also been promoting my Fabrilushus shop as well.  Something which will no doubt annoy some friends, but hey you can just skip it.

I am sure that many of you will have also noticed that I regularly share posts regarding dogs.  I share photos of dogs needing to be rescued and stories of the appalling cruelty that man is capable of towards the animal supposedly his best friend.   I post these in the hope that someone, somewhere, may be able to help these poor animals and to raise awareness of the terrible things that we allow to happen.

Yes, they are couched in emotive language.  It helps to make a point.  They have graphic photos quite often. If they make you feel sick, well good, so it should.  Maybe, just maybe, it might make you think. Someone mentioned that there was no point to these posts as they will not reach the people concerned.  That is absolutely true but it might reach others who care enough to take a stand.  Like most things in life it only needs a few to stand up and be counted.

I do realise that dogs are not the only ones to suffer.  I am not stupid.  I am intelligent and well educated.  I know what happens to cows, lambs, chickens, horses...... the list goes on.  Sadly I do not have the time to champion them all.  I have always loved dogs.  I have a strong affinity with them.  For that reason I concentrate all my efforts in trying to do whatever I can, in any small way, to help their plight.

Some people do not like dogs.  That is fine, I do not have a problem with that as long as you treat them decently.  Some people have a problem with my posts.  I do not.  It is simple, if you don't like a post then move on.  If you have something to say then say it.  If you want to share the post then please do.  But don't try to detract from the issue by going on about the emotive language.   These posts are written that way for a reason.    I respect your right to post as you see fit, please respect mine.

Finally if you really couldn't care less then I stick by what I said on my last facebook posting........ you are hard hearted.  I defy anybody to look at the photo and read that post about the use of bolt guns to kill Greyhounds  and not be in tears.  It doesn't matter how much you do, or how much you have seen that post should still make you cry.   It is happening here in the UK.  I shared it because I think that most people would not have any knowledge of this practise.  Now they do my hope is that they will  step forward and help to get the law changed to make this practise illegal.   If that happens then my overly emotive postings will have achieved something.

PS.  Before anyone jumps up and down and spits their dummy  ......... this post is NOT directed at anyone in particular.  I have had many comments and messages and I am  putting my side.  Nothing more, nothing less.

PPS.  It has amazed me how many "friends" commented on my last few doggie  postings on facebook and yet those same friends have made no comment what so ever on my new little grandson.  The little grandson who was born 10 weeks prematurely and will be in the Neo-Natal Intensive Care Unit for several months.  No comments.  Odd.  Maybe they only like commenting when they can be negative.    Maybe they just didn't read fully.  C'est la vie.

PPS.  He is doing very well, thanks for asking!

Think I shall go and play some mindless facebook game now.




5 comments:

  1. You go girl. I've had my fair share of complaints over the years about stuff I have posted online for all sorts of reasons and I maintain the same attitude. Nobody is paying a subscription for an entertainment feed. I write what's on my mind, it's MY mind, and if anyone dislikes what they read, move along, there's other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never could get in to facebook, I am not a game person, and I don't like how facebook operates-they scan your computer for your where abouts online and then sell that information to advertisers who then advertise on your page-hoping to get a sale.

    I know the whole world is mostly on facebook-but it is not for me. I hope it helps you get the news out about your etsy shop I know allot of people are on there to help their business's too

    good news about baby Jackson-happy he is doing well and getting stronger every day.

    I am finding that blogster is getting quite negative-always politics is the main theme for discussions over there now. after doing the blog party here-I feel so much better about blogging again-ran into lots of creative people for inspiration

    have an awesome day Jilly

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOu're getting complaints? Well, Jilly, I think you've finally got into the swing on Blogger! LOL, my goodness a month or so ago you were worried about anyone reading your posts!

    I think cruelty of any kind must be brought to attention. Someone has to speak. You've chosen to give voice to abused dogs. If others find that silly... oh well.

    They can champion someone thing else on their blogs.

    I'm not crazy about FB. I'm there. I do post stuff but usually the silly things jokes and cartoons that make me laugh or think. I'm not posting my life there... that's what I have my blog for. And I post a link to my blog.. so the truly interested can follow that.

    Have a great day! So happy that Jackson is growing. I hope Verity is doing well through all this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not think we are friends in facebook, but I have 850 so I am really not sure. I played games for a while, was quite into Cafe World, but I gave them all up because I wanted my life back. Now it is just puzzle world and diamond dash - nothing serious. As far as the animal posts go, I have three cats and love all animals. But I am in Switzerland and all those postings about finding a new home for an animal or helping is just not something I can do, coupled with the fact that I just cannot see an animal suffering. There is just nothing I can do about it. If it is the dog next door, or in my village I would be there. For this reason I have had to start hiding a lot of the animal posts. Sorry, but I just cannot do anything to help. I would like to adopt every cat or dog that needs a home, but that is not possible. Otherwise I have no problem with FB. I can crosspost my blogs there.You just have to know how far to go. I have to laugh at the people that tell you to go over their name and change something to make sure their postings remain private and only for their close friends and family. Hey, if you want that, then why write all the personal stuff on FB. There is such a thing as e-mail or telephone. Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh I never see your posts on facebook Jilly......you probably hid me because of all my games running through your wall, all the same I know your plight for dogs, I love dogs too,,,,,I feel like you, if I could adopt them all I would, I didnt realize you were utilizing facebook, now I will make it a habit of going to your page.......I hope youre not angry at me, cuz I loooooves you!!! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete

floating social media sharing buttons

Get widget