Sunday 20 January 2013

Update on our boy

Thank you for all the kind messages and comments of support.  It has been a worrying few days.  However I am really pleased to be able to tell you that both Mummy and baby are doing well.  Oh and Daddy too!

Verity was actually discharged from the hospital late yesterday and so she has had her first night at home without her little one. She coped well.  It must have been very hard to leave him behind.  I think it will be easier once she establishes her daily routine of visiting.

Little Jackson is now 5 days old and doing really well. He is still 3lbs but hopefully that will begin to increase slowly.  The amount of milk he is given has increased slowly from just 1ml up to 5.2ml's today.  He has that every hour and it is Mummy's milk so it is good stuff.


They have now turned off his blue lights and they have also stopped 1 of his antibiotics.  He continues with the CPAP. Yesterday they were both able to have their very first cuddle with him.  A really magical moment for them all and one that I am sure they will remember always.

We had hoped to go to visit today, in fact Coralie had organised a baby shower for her.  This is not something that ordinary girls do over this side of the pond.  I think it is still very much a Merikan thing but Coralie thought it would help Verity as she is missing out on so much.  Sadly it didn't happen due to the weather. IE. SNOW!  

The forecast was for heavy snow across us and the south east right across Cambridge starting at 11am.  In fact the snow didn't start here until about 5.30pm but it was snowing in Cambridge pretty much all day.  It was the right decision not to go as the roads are pretty treacherous when it is snowing.  We were all very disappointed though and just hoping that the beautiful cakes made by friends of Coralie will last until next week.


I have balloons and bunting and they will be fine.  We hope to rearrange it for next weekend.  Simon and I are hoping to visit tomorrow as it is his day off but in reality I think it is unlikely.  We have now had about 4 inches of snow and it is still going.  The weather forecast is showing snow until around midday tomorrow.  If we can't go then I shall try and go on the train on Tuesday assuming that they are running because a lot aren't right now.

I bet my Merikan and Canadian friends roll around laughing at how our little old country gets it's knickers in a twist over a bit of snow.  The telling point is that we talk in inches and they talk in feet!  They accept that it is winter and there will be snow we are constantly surprised by it and consequently caught out.  To be fair we don't get the same quantity over here and until recent years my little corner often didn't see any.  They say this is how it is set to be so I guess we should start getting used to it.  Funny, I though the world was warming up!

I will post more photos as we get them.


3 comments:

  1. good news Jilly-thanks for keeping us updated. I had heard on the news tonight that you guys were getting lots of snow.
    Perhaps all the cakes could be frozen-that way they would be fresh for next weekend-hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear this good news, but sorry the bad weather kept you from celebrating with a baby shower. I'm sure the cake will be fine. Hopefully the snow will melt soon and the party can go on! Thank you for keeping us updated! Prayers will continue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update, all great news, Poor Verity and Steve I'm sure they are so sad to leave their baby daily at the hospital, with that said I bet they are overjoyed that they had a boy huh....lol
    the cake is so cute. I've ate week old cake....lol......yum yum. unless little boys fingers end up on it, it should be fine....lol

    ReplyDelete

floating social media sharing buttons

Get widget