Tuesday 1 January 2013

Our Christmas

We had a lovely Christmas.  Surrounded by family as always.  It begun on the 22nd when Simon collected Saskia from the station.  We had a lovely afternoon as Coralie came over with the boys and Lisa and Sam with the girlies and we made paper chains.  The children loved it.  They took some home and we hung some up.  We only had a tiny tree this year so the paper chains helped to make it look more festive.  We have taken them down today.

On Christmas eve Saskia and I had a bit of a sewing day.  She made 2 bum bags for presents for Evan and Flynn and a cushion for a friend.  I just pottered in my sewing room.  The evening was spent watching TV and relaxing.


Christmas day began at 8am as we had told Saskia that she had to go down and bring us coffee and biscuits. She was delighted to find the stocking that we had done for her hanging on her door.  She sat on our bed to open her gifts while we drank our coffee.  It wasn't quite the same as the days when all 5 of them would sit on our bed excitedly ripping open presents at 5am but it was still a lovely moment.


We had cooked the turkey on Christmas eve so we only had the gammon joint and veggies to prepare.  We got them ready and then went down to Sam and Lisa's house for an hour.  The girls were very excited and it was lovely to see them open their presents.


We received a house number plate from Sam and Lisa.  Lisa made it herself from mosaic tiles.


We were home by 11.30am and Verity and Steve arrived shortly after. We had a lovely relaxed time before dinner which went down really well. There were only the 5 of us which is the smallest number we have ever had. Verity had made a brownie cake which we had with raspberry coulis and cream for dessert.  None of us eat Christmas pudding.  She is one good cook.


After lunch we opened some presents.  I got a floor standing, day light lamp from Simon for my sewing room.  I also got 2 vouchers from him.  1 for a £100 shopping trip and 1 for me to get my hair done.  Do you think he is trying to tell me something?


Coralie, John and the boys arrived about 4pm shortly followed by Josh and Charlotte.   Sam and Lisa were not with us as they went to Lisa's parents for tea. We all had fun waiting to feel verity's baby moving.


We had a wonderful time opening presents.  The boys seemed to be very pleased with the bedtime buddies that I had made them.  We had a buffet tea as always around 6pm and then it was time for everyone to depart.  I mean every one as Saskia went back with Verity and Steve for a few days. It was the first Christmas night that we have ever been just the 2 of us.  It seemed a little odd not to have anyone staying but we enjoyed sitting and vegging out in front of the TV.


Boxing day we were totally alone as the rest of the family all went to Verity and Steve's in Cambridge.  we couldn't go as we cant leave Alfie for too long.  It was an odd day.  Just like a normal weekend day really.   We spent it relaxing and pottering as we did the following day.

This is me wearing my Christmas jammies that Saskia got me.  I was cold so I had them on over my dress. I hadn't brushed my hair!  Told you we were veging out!

Forgot to show you our present from Coralie, she made it herself and she drew around each grandchilds hand!  Isn't it lovely?


On the Friday Verity and Steve were bringing Saskia back and we were meeting them in Kiddicare in Peterborough to buy the pram/ pushchair for the  new  grandbaby.  Only 10 weeks to go!  We have sort of made a tradition that we buy the first grandchild's  travel system. We took Ellie with us as she wanted to help choose!  It took a long time even though they already sort of knew what they wanted.  In the end they chose a Quinny system.  They chose a french navy pram, black pushchair and sort of grey and purple car seat.  Baby will go in the pram for the first few months and of course the car seat and then they will convert it into the pushchair.  They were really pleased  with it all.



They had to try it out when they got home so here are some more views.  Won't be long until baby is in it.


The following day it was time for Saskia to go home so after dropping me at the dog rescue, Simon drove her back to Leicester.  I think she had a good Christmas but I think she was happy to be back at her own house and I know she was looking forward to celebrating her birthday with her friends the following day.  Happy Birthday Saskia!  27 years old!!!  How can that be possible?

With Saskia gone, we have been just relaxing and gradually getting the house back to normal.  Simon has been busy in his garage and I have done some sewing.  It was a different kind of Christmas.  Quieter. I do miss the old days when they were all young.  Those were magical times.  I am grateful though that we were able to spend time with all of our family.

Next year there will be one more person in our family.  I can't wait.


6 comments:

  1. "Gammon joint" - a new cooking term for me! We had turkey and pork, too - a ham shoulder that was oh, so good and added to a pot of pinto beans made New Years Eve warm and toasty. I 'knackered' my sewing machine - it has to go into the shop before I can get back to sewing for our soon-to-be-here granddaughter, Jaylin.

    Is that a pillow that Jessica has her arms through? That's adorable - did you make it?

    Yes - he's telling you "I love you" in the nicest way!

    A new sewing machine! And so many gifts hand made - that's the kind of Christmas I love. But watching the hands on Verity's baby is just awesome. Keeping those two in prayer!

    The quilt is gorgeous. Love the colors and the pattern.

    That's a great pram - solid and carries through the safety of the older ones without being so huge. Good deal!

    More catching up and more comments to leave on earlier posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed all the photos Jilly-looks like a wonderful family Christmas-I miss those days. love the mosaic house number, and the plate with grandchildrens hands-very cool

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I enjoyed reading your post today! The photos are great! Such beautiful smiling faces on you and your loved ones! I sure looks like you had a wonderful Christmas and holiday time!! Happy New Year! I am so glad we connected in 2012 and look forward to your friendship in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a good time. we've done a lot of vegging out too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful Christmas you and your family had! The pictures were great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your girls get more beautiful with each year, I miss those years also of my kids at Christmas.....Kyle entertains me these days, he got so many toys for Christmas he was beside himself with decisions of what to play with next....we had ham for dinner. Ray had his annual Christmas Eve party and that was lots of fun. Hey Stephie has ten weeks to go too......wouldnt it be funny if we became grandma's on the same exact day!!!.

    ReplyDelete

floating social media sharing buttons

Get widget