Friday 4 January 2013

A pants day


Yep, today has been pretty pants.  I woke up with a headache and had to take tablets.  I didn't get out of bed until 2pm.  I even slept for a while.  It lingered for most of the afternoon.

We popped down to Tesco mid afternoon as we had run out of tea bags of all things.  I don't drink tea so I didn't much care but Simon was beginning to suffer withdrawal symptoms.

As we were out we called into a builders merchant and managed to get a new shower head which was good and I also persuaded Simon to stop so that I could go in the Crafty Patch shop and see if they had the 3 ply wool that I need for Verity's baby shawl.  Good news was they did have it.  Bad news was it cost me £30!  She had better use this shawl until the child is at least 10.  By the way I am not making it, Denise is making it for me.

Once home I gave the new shower head a test run before my bath and am pleased to say that it has made a big difference and we now have a half decent flow.  Might buy another one and see if that improves the upstairs shower.  Guess some of you might be thinking that it is odd to have a shower before my bath but I hate washing my hair in the bath hence the shower but I still wanted to have a bath as I love a good wallow in the bath. I was still feeling a bit grotty and a bath is relaxing.

Simon offered to cook dinner, grilled bacon chops and cauliflower cheese.  I was on the phone to my Dad when there was an almighty crash.  He has broken the inner glass door of my oven.  I had taken it out yesterday to clean as something had got splashed on the inner side.  It took ages to clean as I soaked it in washing soda.  I was very careful with it and had left it on the drainer in the utility room to dry.  It didn't get put back in the oven.

Simon realised that it was missing when he went to put in the cauliflower cheese.  He had the oven pre heating for 10 minutes.  He went to put the glass in, apparently being very careful and then his fingers touched the glass of the outer door which was very hot........you can guess the rest.  So first job tomorrow is to find out where I can get a new glass door. Bet it will probably cost a fortune.   I can't use the oven without it which will be a pain as I use my oven pretty much every day.

We finally had dinner after clearing up all the glass which had gone everywhere and I have a feeling there could still be bits we missed and I walk around bare foot all the time..............

This evening we were out at Gyll and Max's house.  They are the owners of the dog rescue.  They were having a little get together at their house  to sort a few things out.  I am going to take over doing the newsletter that goes out to people who sponsor a dog.   It was a pleasant evening with a few glasses of the red stuff.  

It is now 11.30pm and my head is niggling a bit.  Guess the red wine may not have been such a great idea.  I think it is time to head to bed now. I have a couple of magazines to read.  One of them is my Popular patchwork one and I really enjoy that.  Think I shall go and make some hot chocolate.



7 comments:

  1. Oh, I can't even imagine the crash and the glass! Yes - you may find pieces of glass for some time to come, and I don't know of a good way to get it all - damp paper towels help, along with a good hoovering, and still some of those pieces will surface later. Experience (not oven doors, but other glass) speaking. Slippers for a while?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - I forgot to mention how cute I think the graphic is!!! I thought the babies didn't get their spots until -- well, I don't even know until when, just later. That's an adorable shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a mess that broken glass must have been. Did you use a wet duster? The wet bottom might pick up the little shards that you can't even see. Be careful!! Glad the shower head works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Use a vacuum for the glass. I've done similar things and I always vacuum thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure you've vacuumed and mopped and then done it all again what with you and your bare feet and the dogs with their bare paws! What a faff. It's amazing what you can find by googling spare parts for things - I've used a company called e-spares before and they were pretty good and a quick service. (And they were cheaper than buying from the manufacturer.) Hope the head is better today - red wine not a good idea on top of a headache in my experience lol (especially as too much of the stuff usually creates a headache!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so sorry about your oven door-how awful-and cleaning up glass is the worse. hope you are feeling better today-headaches are no fun-Hot chocolate sounds good-and I just got up this morning-

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am so sorry to hear about your oven glass! I'm glad Simon didn't cut himself! On a happy note..That's great that you got a shower head that works great!

    ReplyDelete

floating social media sharing buttons

Get widget