Sunday 6 January 2013

Sunday the 6th

It is a grey day here in the Fens but at least it isn't raining. I wrote that line yesterday and this post was entitled Saturday the 5th.  That was as far as I got with it but the first line still stands good for today.

Yesterday was a normal Saturday with me at the dog rescue kennels as normal. I have been there every Saturday for more or less 5 months now.  I do enjoy it.  It can be very hard and absolutely heart breaking but the reward of seeing a dog happily settled into its new forever home is priceless.  

It was a fairly quiet day yesterday but we did take in one little Staffie of 8 months old.  He was just unwanted.  The story was that the daughters boyfriend had got him for her for a  gift and she is now at Uni and the dog has been left behind with the parents who don't even like dogs.  What a thoughtless prat of a boyfriend.    He was called Tyson when he arrived but as we already have 2 Tysons he was renamed Dodger. Funny how names just conjure up a picture.  When the woman phoned up and said he was called Tyson we all said he was going to be a Staffie.  He is such a dear little chap.  It really breaks my heart. They get such a bad press.

Fortunately not long after we took him in we had a lady come in to formally adopt a dog called Lacey.  She has been in her new home for 3 weeks and she is clearly in love with her new owner.  So nice to see.  They are like different dogs after a few weeks in a good, loving home. It is that end result that makes it all worthwhile.

You know ever since I was a very small child I have always had an affinity with dogs.  I have always loved them dearly, every size and shape, I love them all. I think maybe I have found my calling helping out with the rescue.

Simon took some stuff to the dump and then went off to the barn to fetch some more stuff.  I am hoping that apart from the cars the barn is nearly empty because the new garage is getting pretty full now!  He then came to the kennels and we had a  couple of dogs out to play for a while. A dog called Chief  and then an old Boxer called Dolly.

Chief is an American Bull dog and he loves playing with a big hard plastic ball.  He chases it round and round.  It is really funny.


Dolly is 10 years old and has been at the shelter for 8 of those years.  They have never been able to find a home for her.  It seems that people don't like white dogs and they don't like Boxers either.  It is such a shame as she is a sweet girl.


The rest of Saturday afternoon and evening was spent relaxing and generally vegging out.  Today has been pretty much the same.  Simon has done some more of the garage roof insulation and I have been sewing.  Today I made a patchwork tote bag and 2 padded kindle cases. I shall do a show and tell some time in the week and show you.

Guess it is time to finish now.  Simon goes back to work on Tuesday so tomorrow is the last day of the holiday for us. I am quite looking forward to getting back to my normal routine.


6 comments:

  1. Make the most of your last day - although I imagine you will be glad to get back to your routines :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though we have cats, Joe and I have both had dogs and we love dogs, too. Cats are just easier for us at this time of our lives. Bless you for doing your volunteer work and caring for the dogs. Dolly looks like a sweet pup. Thank goodness the shelter has cared for her all these years. That's great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we love our furry family members too-

    ReplyDelete
  4. as you know I loooooooooove dogs too!!.....here the boxers are not the issue, people are afraid of pitbulls......and Ive met some wonderful loving pitbulls...its such a shame.....most the time the "owner" of said pitbull is the problem, pitbulls like babies are born innocent. humans give them a rotten dispostion.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhh thats my kind of dog ( both of them) , my daughters ( between them) have an old English Bull Dog, a while Boxer, an English Bull terrier and a staffie/ boxer cross which some people say looks like a pit bull.............some people tend to be a bit afraid of these types of dogs, but they are great family pets. My first dog was a white boxer and back then the breeders used to destroy any white pups in the litter but we loved her. We as a family have always had this type of dog, I used to breed boxers when the kids were little. Lovely to see these beautiful canine friends and what a shame they spend so long in a shelter. thank you for sharing their stories with us........

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least she has a good home at the shelter - and you've had two days without rain! This is good.

    ReplyDelete

floating social media sharing buttons

Get widget